This spring, we were asked by Lamps.com to participate in their DIY lamp shade contest! They sent us a blank, white, drum lamp shade to turn into something wonderful. We took an organic, modern approach to the challenge trying out a new technique of sharpie + rubbing alcohol on fabric. After some trial and error we finally mastered it. Below is the full DIY steps we took to achieve this look on our lamp shade!
– cup or bowl
– fabric (we used muslin)
– rubbing alcohol
– sharpie (we used black but any color works)
– printed design (optional)
3. Trace your design onto the fabric with your sharpie, we found that tracing your design in sections helps the ink bleed better when it is fresh.
4. Soak the end of a q-tip in the rubbing alcohol, really soak it – it should be dripping.
5. Dab the end of the q-tip onto the fabric right NEXT to the sharpie marks – not directly on the line. The sharpie will bleed in the opposite direction you place the q-tip.
6. Continue dipping the q-tip into the rubbing alcohol after you touch it to the fabric. Work your way around the design.
We had a blast taking our completed lamp shade and styling it with our favorite things. Laura Olivia Photography was kind enough to take photos of the finished product! It was hard deciding which one we liked best, so here are three different ways to style this organic/modern lampshade in your home!